In today's society, the prevailing opinion is "well-aging", that is, to accept yourself as you really are. This also applies to those of the fairer sex who are no longer 20 or 30 years old.
You don't have to deny or hide your age, because women who take care of themselves are beautiful at any age. To achieve this, it does not require much effort, but you must carefully choose high-quality natural cosmetics that will make the skin healthier, brighter, and more radiant.
The cold season always comes with various challenges for our skin. Care of face, hand and body skin is required. To keep it healthy, you need to use appropriate cosmetics. These are offered by the Latvian manufacturer of natural dermocosmetics LABRAINS. It is a natural skin care brand created in Latvia, which has developed innovative, environmentally friendly, and high-quality products for everyday skin care.
Dry skin in the cold season
In the autumn and winter seasons, dry skin is a cause for concern, affecting about one in five people.1 It can be a congenital feature or a chronic manifestation of a skin condition. In cold weather, the sebaceous glands in the skin decrease, so the skin may become drier. Blood circulation in the skin is reduced, resulting in a reduced supply of oxygen to the cells, which increases oxidative stress.2 This stress occurs when there is an imbalance between the activity of free radicals (active molecules that react with skin fat, proteins, DNA, thus breaking their structure) and antioxidants (neutralize free radicals).3
Functioning properly, free radicals can help fight pathogens - toxic substances, fungi, viruses, etc. - that cause infections. However, if there are more free radicals than antioxidants can balance, they do damage to the body's tissues, especially if they already have a dysfunction, such as a reduced lipid layer on dry skin.4
It is impossible to completely avoid the effects of free radicals and oxidative stress, but we know what to do to reduce its effects on the body.5 The main thing is to increase the level of antioxidants and reduce the formation of free radicals, ideally to achieve a balance between free radicals and antioxidants. It can be promoted through a healthy diet, adequate sleep, regular, moderate exercise, and a healthy environment. Finally, it is worth remembering that oxidative stress contributes to the aging of not only the skin, but the whole body.
Dry skin can be rough, red, cracked or peeling, as well as more sensitive, itchy, and even painful. Prolonged dryness of the skin may be associated with inflammation. Any skin barrier disorder carries an increased risk of skin infections. Dry skin can affect almost anyone, but it also depends on external factors, such as dry climate, colder temperatures, frequent washing, use of alkaline detergents, etc. In addition, studies have shown that skin characteristics and physiological processes depend on each person's skin race. The peculiarities are related to the amount of water in the skin's horn or top layer and daily habits, as well as the cosmetics used.
Dry skin can also be linked to lifestyle and internal factors such as malnutrition, kidney failure and unwanted heredity, which contribute to skin moisture loss. People with dry skin should follow one important rule - their skin care products should not contain pathogens - plastics, phenoxyethanol, as well as solvents and preservatives used in natural cosmetics, such as benzoic acid, sodium benzoate, pentylene glycol, caprylic glycol, which also dissolves skin oil. It should also be mentioned that owners of dry and sensitive skin must choose very carefully facial cleansing and care products with a balanced pH level in order to stabilize the skin microbiome and strengthen its surface, as well as avoid essential oils and allergens such as limonene, linalool, etc.
Choose the right skin care products
During the winter, skin conditions can worsen for those with chronic conditions such as psoriasis or atopic dermatitis. Also, this season has an adverse effect on the skin of people who have the so-called rosacea - pink facial skin, as well as a pronounced vascular patterns on the cheeks and nose. For this skin type care cosmetics meant for couperose or reddened skin are recommended. The first step would be to properly cleanse it with an oil milk or gel wash, which doesn’t contain sulphates. Then balance the skin's pH with micellar water and apply an appropriate face serum and / or cream.
In winter, dry and sensitive skin should be cleaned very gently, while moisturizing and nourishing. LABRAINS offers dry washing with Oil - to milk oil, which is applied to dry skin, thus protecting its surface from the unwanted effects of water. When dryness occurs, the skin is moisturized with micellar water, which simultaneously serves as a tonic and moisturizing prebiotic. It is not rinsed, because it contains natural detergents in the minimum effective concentration, and is left on the face to achieve the desired result - moisturizing the skin, as well as obtaining a balance between the pH levels and microbiome. If the skin is very dry and sensitive, Oil-to-milk can only be removed with LABRAINS micellar water. During the recovery period, it is important to try not to stay in the shower and bath for more than 2 minutes. Then use RESISTAGE SCULPTOR serum, wait half an hour and apply night cream (for very dry skin, we recommend applying the serum twice in the morning and evening - apply the serum twice with 30 minute intervals and finally cover with cream). For very dry skin it is better to use the peeling mask once a week. Winter skin care products should have a moisturizing effect. Moisturizers are substances designed to improve and maintain the skin's barrier. They serve as a means to reduce dehydration levels, provide photoprotection (protection against sunlight), and are endowed with antioxidant properties.
LABRAINS ritual for daily care of very dry and / or sensitive skin in autumn and winter:
First Oil-to-milk (morning and evening), then:
- Micellar water (morning and evening);
- RESISTAGE serum (morning and evening), for very dry skin, we recommend applying the serum twice followed by a cream;
- BB cream or broad spectrum UVA/UVB sun protection cream – morning, but can be reaplied as needed, especially before going out or doing sports;
- Peeling mask – once a week.
Face peeling mask SKIN–PERFECTING smoothes and regenerates the skin
This cosmetic product is suitable for all skin types. The highest quality of light, rejuvenating peeling to ensure the health of the facial skin. This moisturizing, non-irritating face mask achieves the highest radiance of the SPA level at home. The non-inflammatory lamellar water gel in the composition dissolves alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs) progressively and in a controlled manner to provide the benefits of AHA without the irritation. This makes this product the perfect solution to smooth and revitalize even the most sensitive skin.
This face mask reduces visible spots, helps to remove dead skin cells, fat, bacteria and improves the appearance of the skin structure. Another special ingredient in this uniquely gentle facial peeling formula is rhizobia resin - a unique biopolymer inspired by the richness of nature that retains skin moisture. It provides a long-lasting, refreshing, soothing effect and significantly reduces dark circles under the eyes, while supplying the skin with water and helping to improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles. The skin gets a youthful glow as it becomes smoother and softer. SKIN – PERFECTING is suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin.
Regular use of this mask has been clinically proven to provide the following improvements:
- easily removes dead skin cells, fats, toxins and bacteria;
- dissolves dead skin cells, opens the sebaceous glands of the skin, thus ensuring optimal absorption of other skin care products;
- is useful as a particularly moisturizing solution for dull skin, fine lines, wrinkles, uneven skin tone and uneven skin texture;
- frees the skin from dead skin cells, gives a visibly refreshed and radiant look.
The face mask is easy to use. Apply an even layer of product on clean, dry or damp skin. Allow this layer to dry completely, then rinse with lukewarm water. Then, depending on the desired results or the special needs of your skin, use the most suitable LABRAINS serum and face cream (RESISTAGE or REDRESS). Best used in the evening, twice a week. Other products can be applied to the mask when it is dry. A more detailed description of the use of the cosmetic product is available here.
Oil – milk face cleanser OIL–TO–MILK makes the skin soft and smooth.
This high-quality blend of natural oils and active ingredients protects the skin's barrier function, ensuring a perfect balance of free fatty acids. Enriched with probiotic-based active ingredient created by fermentation of Lactobacillus bacteria with strong antibacterial properties. It achieves very deep hydration, will be good for normal and dry skin, ideal for very dry and sensitive skin. This facial cleanser dissolves and removes make-up and dirt without reducing the skin's natural moisture and leaving the skin soft and smooth. Contains golden kelp (Laminaria Ochroleuca) extract - the active ingredient in this seaweed. This cleanser will really make your skin glow from the inside out.
When used every day OIL–TO–MILK:
- forms a protective, non-greasy, moisturizing and nourishing layer;
- makes skin smoother;
- improves skin elasticity and firmness;
- makes the skin soft and silky;
- gives your skin a radiant and youthful look.
To use, massage OIL-TO-MILK into dry skin, including lips and the skin around the eyes, add a little water to turn the oil into a cleansing milk. Rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water. To quickly balance the pH of the skin and improve immunity, we recommend using CLEANSEA micellar water immediately afterwards. Then, depending on the desired results or the special needs of your skin, use the most suitable LABRAINS serum and face cream (RESISTAGE or REDRESS). More details: here.
RENOVATION SCULPTOR cream will be useful for rejuvenating the facial skin
This product is designed to strengthen and regenerate the facial skin, as well as prevent and reduce the formation of wrinkles. It is rich, mildly aromatic and deeply moisturizing, intended for all skin types with signs of aging. The cream formula is designed to provide excellent protection for the skin and its microbiota, as well as to improve the skin's natural defenses and reduce the effects of daily and especially cold seasonal stress. The cream has a quick-acting composition with a smoothing effect on the wrinkles and décolleté, which at the same time reduces dryness, roughness and itching of the skin. The perfect balance of free fatty acids, combined with an effective and innovative combination of natural ingredients, includes lichen extract, hyaluronic acid complex and plant stem cells. Its powerful biomechanism improves skin firmness and gives the face a well-groomed, youthful look with excellent light-reflecting effect.
The ingredients in the cream have been clinically proven to:
- increase cell vitality under stress conditions up to 20% and under normal conditions - up to 58%;
- increase the synthesis of hyaluronic acid in the dermis up to 92%;
- restore the lipid layer of the skin and increase the elasticity of the skin up to 34%;
- protect the extracellular matrix and increases skin thickness up to 26%;
- protect the cell nucleus from aging;
- improve the Y-shape of the face, reducing wrinkles on the neck by up to 32%.
LABRAINS experts recommend applying the cream every morning on a clean face, neck and décolleté area. For a better effect, it is recommended to include CLEANSEA facial cleansing line and the most suitable RESISTAGE or REDRESS serum, as well as RESISTAGE Night Restoration Architect cream in daily skin care. More on the use of different skin types and the different nuances here.
RENOVATION SCULPTOR will help against the signs of aging
This natural cosmetic product is intended for all skin types with signs of aging. RENOVATION SCULPTOR is an intense serum with various concentrations of hyaluronic acids that deeply moisturize and stimulate metabolism in the dermis. It is a unique, scientifically proven, natural and innovative combination of antioxidants with vitamin E and cranberry seed oil, which nourishes skin cells and neutralizes free radicals. The composition of the serum fills the skin like a filler, providing a long-lasting and immediate effect in reducing the signs of aging. It has a wrinkle smoothing and lifting effect, which refreshes the skin and makes it more radiant and elastic.
The ingredients included in the serum have been clinically proven to:
- reduce the amount of deep "crow's feet" wrinkles by up to 26.5% in six hours;
- reduce the length of fine "crow's feet" wrinkles by 8.7% per hour;
- restore the skin's natural immunity by stimulating the release of specific antibacterial peptides;
- deeply absorb and fill the skin with hyaluronic acids;
- promote the process of skin cell regeneration.
It is recommended to use this product every morning and evening, applying to a clean face, neck and décolleté area. For a better effect, we recommend that you include a CLEANSEA facial cleansing line and the most appropriate RESISTAGE or REDRESS face creams in your daily skin care routine.
NIGHT RESTORATION ARCHITECT night cream will restore the protective abilities of the facial skin
This natural product is intended for intensive prevention and reduction of the signs of aging. It is suitable for all skin types with signs of aging. NIGHT RESTORATION ARCHITECT is an especially rich, deep-action cream with a silky texture and gentle aroma. It is designed to intensively nourish and regenerate the skin of the face and décolleté at the end of the day after the harmful effects of environmental pollution, especially in the urban environment. It contains a scientifically proven combination of natural ingredients, which includes Rui's dragon's head, cranberries and various molecular weight hyaluronic acids, which will effectively stimulate the natural regeneration of your skin during sleep, promote collagen synthesis and protect the skin's barrier function.
The ingredients in the cream have been clinically proven to:
- reduce skin pigmentation spots up to 40%;
- make the skin radiant and smooth;
- ensure perfect moisture balance;
- promote cell regeneration up to 15%;
- protect skin barrier functions by stimulating the formation of ceramides;
- slow down the aging process and reduces wrinkles;
- activats the regeneration of skin cells;
- enhance the skin's natural defenses.
It is recommended to use this cream every evening, applying on a clean face, neck and décolleté area. For a better effect, we recommend that you include a CLEANSEA facial cleansing line and the most appropriate RESISTAGE or REDRESS serum in your daily skin care. We recommend that you include RESISTAGE Renovation Sculptor in your morning routine. A detailed usage table is available here.
General recommendations for skin care in autumn and winter
- Facial care can be supplemented with various types of serums. Moisturizing creams should be used at bedtime, while nourishing - in the morning.
- To protect your skin, you need a sunscreen with SPF 30 in the fall or rainy weather, or a daily cream that already contains UV protection. It is also possible to buy liquid or spray protection products for oily skin that do not clog pores.
- Even in sunny winter weather, sunscreens with SPF will be needed. It should also be used when going outdoors, such as skiing. In snowy fields or mountains, the intensity of the sun's rays is much higher because the snow reflects them and they are therefore particularly strong.
- In the morning, 30 minutes before going out, apply sunscreen or a day cream if it contains substances that provide protection against UV rays. LABRAINS has created a new BB cream LABRIGHTS for this purpose. Natural mineral powders with UV protection that are currently available could also be a good alternative.
- People who have rosacea, dry skin or acne will need such a sunscreen cream on a regular basis. Wind, moisture and sun are the worst combination because it irritates and dries the skin.
- It is better to use oils or creamy cleansers, as well as those with moisturizers, to cleanse the skin of the body. They will help restore the skin's natural protective layer, as well as provide it with nutrients and moisturizers that the skin loses during the washing. The use of alkaline soaps and alcohol should be avoided.
- After washing, it is recommended to use a moisturizer, such as a lotion or a body cream. Moisturizers are best absorbed by the skin when applied immediately after a shower, on towel dried skin.
Our team is always ready to help with advice
In conclusion, there are many different cosmetic products available today, differing both in composition (natural and synthetic or artificial) and in the type, meaning and specificity of use. It is not at all easy to navigate this whole range and always choose the most suitable product at the moment, because from time to time there is an unforeseen, previously unknown problem or situation that makes you confused - what should I do? Therefore, the LABRAINS team, which combines knowledgeable specialists with master's and doctoral degrees and more than 15 years of combined work experience in the cosmetics industry, will be happy to provide advice to anyone interested and help everyone choose the most suitable solution.
You can apply for a consultation or simply contact us in the contact section of SIA Labrains on the website, or by calling +371 28 010 107, as well as by writing to e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The products can be purchased in the online store or on the spot in the office in Riga, Maskavas Street 127, on working days from 10.00 to 16.00.
1Article "The cold months of the year and the skin", "Mājas Daktera" issue, November, 2020.
2 Article "Skin health and protection. Care in autumn and winter"
("Doctus" https://www.doctus.lv/raksts/medicina-un-farmacija/kliniska-prakse/adas-veseliba-un-aizsardziba.-kopsana-rudeni-un-ziema-3569/ )
3https://antiaging.lv/raksti/oksidativais-stress (published in "Mājas Daktera" annex Nr.4, 2021.
4 Determination of antioxidant levels (Biozoom) (https://www.vivendicentrs.lv/lv/services/vispareja-veseliba/antioksidantu-limena-noteiksana-biozoom)
5 What is oxidative stress and how does it affect your health? - 2021 (https://liv.lifehackk.com/what-is-oxidative-stress)