How to look after rosacea-reddened facial skin?
Nature's gifts from northern wetlands to reduce rosacea
What is rosacea?
If you have rosacea, choose natural skincare!
Rosacea is a disease caused by both heredity and external conditions. Most often it manifests as reddened, even red facial skin. It is also defined as couperose facial skin because redness is caused by dilated blood vessels located close to the surface of the skin. But not always couperose facial skin indicates to rosacea.
Recent studies show that for patients with rosacea who use natural facial skincare products after laser treatment procedures, the improvement is 36%, but for those who use artificially synthesised ones – only 12%. Therefore, only natural cosmetics should be used for reddened and red facial skincare.
LABRAINS natural skincare line REDRESS with active ingredients of Northern wetland plants is specially designed to help restore and improve the areas affected by rosacea, which are characterised by dry, reddened, couperose and red facial skin, acne, signs of skin aging.
The right choice of natural skincare is essential – even reddened skin can look much better!
What does rosacea look like?
Rosacea is a chronic inflammation of the skin that most often looks like redness on the cheeks, forehead and chin. If rosacea is detected and treated in time and if suitable natural skincare products are used, the condition of the skin will improve. Otherwise, the redness of the couperose skin becomes permanent and the overall condition of the facial skin worsens. Only a dermatologist can tell exactly whether reddened, even red facial skin is a manifestation of rosacea. Rosacea may also have other symptoms:
- flaky, rough skin;
- dry and reddened eyes, tenderness, swollen and inflamed eyelids.
Rosacea can manifest itself in different ways. Unifying indicator - red skin in facial area
There are several types of rosacea:
- The most common type of rosacea (approximately 80%) – dilated blood vessels are visible on the face, reddened or couperose facial skin. This is an erythemat-teleangectasic form of rosacea.
- If the facial skin is not only reddened but also pink and white rash is visible that may be accompanied by swelling, this is a papulo-pustular form of rosacea.
- If red or couperose skin is accompanied by significant reddening, burning, irritation and tearing of the eyes, perhaps also eyelid swelling and visibly dilated blood vessels in the whites of the eyes – this is a form of ocular rosacea. This form is more common in women.
- If the formation of red facial skin is accompanied by enlargement of the sebaceous glands of the skin, the skin thickens and its surface becomes rough and uneven, this is a phimatous rosacea. In 99% of cases, this form is observed in men and on the nose. As a result, the nose enlarges markedly.
Rosacea affects 5-20% of the world's population. The unifying indicator of the two most common forms of the disease is redness in the central part of the face, which may be accompanied by an inflammatory rash and acne.
In most cases, symptoms of rosacea appear after the age of 30, but the disease can start earlier. Recent studies show that both women and men are equally affected. And everyone wants to know how to get rid of red facial skin.
Use this test to determine if reddened, red, couperose facial skin indicates that you might be affected by rosacea
Dermatologists use a variety of technologies to accurately diagnose rosacea. The latest generation equipment for analysis of the skin condition is VISIA SKY. It provides a complete assessment of skin texture, pores, lines and wrinkles, pigmentation spots and redness of the skin and determines the type of skin, which is important when choosing natural facial care products.
How to look after rosacea-reddened facial skin?
If you have reddened, red, couperose facial skin, it is best to soothe it with natural skincare products, which are specially designed to reduce the symptoms of rosacea. Rosacea is exacerbated by improper facial skin care – abrasive procedures, scrubs and inappropriate artificially synthesised cosmetics.
If the skin of the face is constantly irritated, it suffers from the consequences of:
- dilated blood vessels – couperose facial skin;
Consequently, signs ofskin aging appear prematurely.
6 important skin care principles for rosacea-affected skin
- Gentle cleansing. Facial skin should definitely be cleansed in the morning and evening. Cleansing is necessary not only to remove dirt but also to reduce the number of adverse microorganisms on the skin. In the evening, the face should be cleansed with at least two natural skincare products. Use LABRAINS gel, milk or natural foam, and then LABRAINS micellar water. The gel removes grease and dirt effectively. Be sure to choose cleansers free of soap and alcohol, as well as they should not contain abrasive particles. If the cleanser is to be used with water, the skin should be cleansed in a gentle circular motion without rubbing the skin. After, dry the skin gently with a towel. At this point it is necessary to balance the dry particles of the skin and to stabilise its pH balance, which can be achieved by LABRAINS micellar water. In the morning, use only micellar water to cleanse the face to reduce the number of microorganisms that have formed on the skin overnight.
- Moisturisation. The most important aspect is the consistency of the natural cosmetic moisturiser - the product must be light, but at the same time sufficiently covering, as it must restore and maintain a healthy protective barrier of the skin, which is damaged by rosacea. Otherwise, any substance from the external environment can penetrate into the deeper layers of the skin and cause irritation. In order for the moisturising face cream to provide an anti-inflammatory effect, it must penetrate deep into the skin. First of all, LABRAINS serum should be applied to a cleansed skin, the active substances of which are able to reach the deepest layers of the dermis and participate in the processes that determine the health of the skin. In colder weather, it is recommended to use both – the serum and then LABRAINS face cream for rosacea or anti-rosacea cream. It is not possible to include everything that’s necessary for rosacea-affected skin care in one natural skincare product. The moment when you need to use both serum and cream and follow with LABRAINS BB cream as well (in development) should be felt by observing how the condition of the skin is impacted by changing weather and lifestyle.
- Natural exfoliating mask. It is recommended to use LABRAINS exfoliating mask once in two weeks. Otherwise, the sebaceous gland ducts slowly close and the natural anti-inflammatory substances in the serum and cream cannot enter the deeper layers of the skin. LABRAINS exfoliating mask is gentler than other masks that contain plant-based hydroxic acids. LABRAINS exfoliating mask is suitable for skin affected by rosacea, because it contains neither abrasive particles nor any substances that could irritate the skin. When applying this mask on a cleansed skin for more than 10 minutes, you feel nothing. However, examination of the skin with a dermal microscope shows that the sebaceous gland ducts are open.
- Thoroughly selected skincare product. As rosacea may be accompanied by signs of skin aging (link) or acne (link), the appropriate anti-rosacea facial cream should be selected and matched individually, addressing particular skin needs.
- Sunscreen for UV protection. As the UV radiation of the sun is a serious irritant to the skin of the face, a product that protects against UVE and UVA radiation should be used when going out in the sun. The preferred protection index is 30 SPF. The product must indicate that it also protects against UVA rays and this protection is at least 1/3 of the value of the cream. For instance, a sunscreen with SPF 30 must have a UVA protection of at least 10. In the case of rosacea, it is better to choose sunscreens with a physical filter that reflects UV radiation by scattering it. Products with chemical filters in case of rosacea are not desirable, as they most often contain zinc and titanium oxide, which can cause skin irritation. Also, it should be made sure the product does not contain silicone particles that mechanically clog the pores and thus can exacerbate skin inflammation.
- Fragrance-free natural cosmetics. The most suitable creams against rosacea are natural skincare products of light consistency and with no added fragrance. The anti-rosacea cream may have a yellow or green pigment added to visually mask the redness. If an additional make-up product is used to mask the redness, it is important that it would be a water-based product, easily applicable and not water-resistant. It is difficult to clean the skin of permanent toners in the evening, but mechanical friction can exacerbate inflammation.
INGREDIENTS OF FACIAL CLEANSERS THAT EXACERBATE THE SYMPTOMS OF ROSACEA:
Choose natural skincare products that do not contain irritants!
Nature’s gifts from northern wetlands to reduce rosacea
Nordic plants are subjected to great stress during their vegetation, so they contain a lot of biologically active substances that help them survive. Studies show that these substances, which are also included in the anti-rosacea cream, are effective in improving the condition of the skin in case of rosacea and other skin problems.
All LABRAINS natural skincare products contain extracts of Nordic plants that grow in wetlands, which still remain intact in Latvia.
LABRAINS natural cosmetics contain active ingredients derived from juniper berries. They have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effects.
Of course, it is important not only to choose the right plants but also to combine them properly, to obtain valuable ingredients from them and ensure their maximum purity, which is altogether offered by all LABRAINS natural skincare products for reducing rosacea.
What causes rosacea?
It is determined by heredity that a network of dilated blood vessels, called couperose facial skin, appears on the face near the top layer of the skin. Redness is accompanied by other signs of inflammation. This happens because the immune system is not working as it should.
Studies show that this disease is inherited in 15-40% of cases. If one of the first-degree relatives has rosacea and reddening of the facial skin appears around the age of 30, you should definitely see a dermatologist. At the same time, it is recommended to start paying attention to facial skincare and your lifestyle.
Rosacea is exacerbated by external and internal factors during life:
- excessive stress;
- ultraviolet solar radiation;
- inappropriate facial care products and procedures.
- spicy, irritating, hot foods and drinks;
- heat, cold, wind;
- hot sauna and bath;
- incorrect composition of bacteria in the intestinal tract;
- wrong way of thinking.
Princess Diana also suffered from rosacea, it has also affected Cameron Diaz, Rene Zelveger and other divas. Until recently, it was believed that a typical portrait of a rosacea patient is a woman over 30 years of age, with a light skin complexion. However, the fact that women are more likely to seek help does not mean that men do not suffer from rosacea. Well-known gentlemen, such as Prince Charles, Prince Harry, Bill Clinton and others, also have markedly visible symptoms of rosacea.
How to treat rosacea?
In cases of exacerbation of rosacea, consult a doctor and try to change some daily habits. Be sure to start using natural facial skincare products. To make it easier to understand what else, apart from use of inappropriate skincare products, causes exacerbation of rosacea, it is recommended to keep a journal.
Make daily notes on:
- how strong the skin was reddened;
- what the weather was like (sunny or cloudy, or windy, hot or cold, humidity);
- what foods and drinks were consumed;
- whether and what has been the physical activity;
- whether there has been emotional tension;
- whether all facial care recommendations have been followed;
- what medicines have been taken, what procedures underwent.
During periods of exacerbation, recordings of approximately two weeks usually reveal the irritants with the strongest effects.
What to do to reduce the exacerbation of rosacea?
- Dermatologists recommend laser therapy and, in some cases, medication to reduce inflammation. With laser procedures it is possible to improve the microcircular system for a while – after the procedures the complaints about the symptoms of rosacea are reduced, the appearance of the skin is improved. In order to maintain the improvements in the long run, it is desirable to use natural skincare products after the procedure. (link)
- Ways to be sought to reduce stress. Psychotherapy helps to reduce constant anxiety.
- Habits that exacerbate the symptoms of rosacea should be changed.
Surveys show that rosacea patients themselves believe that rosacea is exacerbated by:
- solar UV radiation (81%);
- excessive stress (79%);
- excessive physical activity;
- inappropriate facial skincare products;
- heat, wind, cold;
- certain foods and products containing cinnamaldehyde such as cinnamon, tomatoes, chocolate, citrus fruits;
- Alcohol – Wine, Beer, Spirits.
ROSACEA DIET - WHAT PRODUCTS TO AVOID?
Due to rosacea, it is desirable to consume neither anything hot and spicy, nor anything colour red: cherries, tomatoes, cranberries, eggplant, etc.
The presence of any artificially synthesised substance in cosmetics, on the skin or in the diet can exacerbate rosacea. In any overheating situation, the body tries to cool itself, which physiologically means that the blood vessels dilate. Following a few simple principles, your quality of life can improve.